Miami School Bus Safety Tips
Care and safety is essential when it comes to school buses. If you are a driver who is sharing the road with a Florida school bus or driving through a school zone, be sure to stay alert. There can be unexpected risks in school zones, there could be school buses turning into school parking lots or children crossing a street after disembarking from a bus.
When you are driving in a school zone, it is against Florida law to use a wireless device in your hands. Plus, as a driver, you are required to stop when a school bus has its warning signals activated, the red lights flashing, for example. If you were involved in an accident in a Florida school zone or with a Miami school bus, talk to a Miami car accident lawyer to determine the best path forward.
Some School Bus Tips for Families to Help Keep Everyone Safe
While it is impossible to live a life that is completely risk free, there are things you and your family members can do to decrease risks. For example, parents and children should keep the following school bus safety tips in mind.
- Children should know what their bus number is and who the driver is.
- Wait for the bus in a safe place, not on the curb or on the road.
- Let children know to board and leave a bus when the driver says it is safe.
- Teach a child best practices for crossing a street, looking both ways.
- Kids should not be near the bus wheels.
- When passing a bus, kids should not walk behind a bus.
- On the bus, kids should remain seated.
- Kids should keep their hands and heads in the bus, not out the window.
- Children should not interfere with a bus driver’s ability to drive safely.
Motorists Need to Make Safe Decisions and Adjust Behaviors
Of course, other motorists, beyond the school bus drivers, also need to adjust their behaviors to keep all safe. Part of this is being aware of children and school busses when in school zones.
When around schools, there are also accident dangers beyond school buses to keep in mind. When kids are riding bicycles, they may make sudden turns or lane changes, for example.
If an accident happens in a school zone and you or someone you care about is injured, discuss the situation with a Miami car accident lawyer. Who is negligent will depend on a variety of factors. A skilled legal professional can assess the details of your case and determine the worth of your personal injury claim.
Did you sustain an injury when you were involved in an accident involving a Florida school bus? A skilled attorney has the experience needed to navigate legal complexities. You deserve justice and we work on a contingency fee basis. Call Spencer Morgan Law at 305-423-3800 for a free consultation.