Seeking Monetary Relief Beyond PIP
Securing monetary relief is often a top priority for those injured as a result of auto, truck, or motorcycle accidents. In Florida, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance is mandatory, so many lean on this coverage to access the financial recovery they need after an accident.
If you suspect that your PIP alone may not cover all your expenses, talk to a Miami personal injury lawyer about other recovery options. In some cases, it’s possible to seek monetary relief beyond PIP.
Maximizing Your PIP Relief
Before exploring additional avenues for compensation, make the most of your PIP coverage. Florida law requires drivers to carry a minimum of $10,000 in PIP benefits, which can be applied to various accident-related expenses. To maximize your PIP relief:
- Seek medical care as soon as possible. Receiving medical treatment right away not only ensures you are accessing the care you need to heal, but it also creates a documented record of the treatment required.
- Follow the 14-day rule. In fact, there are set timelines you need to follow when it comes to medical care. In Florida, you must seek medical treatment within 14 days of the accident to be eligible for PIP benefits.
- See a PIP-authorized medical provider. Ensure the providers you choose are PIP-authorized as benefits may not cover treatment from unapproved providers.
- Document expenses. Feeling overwhelmed in the wake of an accident is normal, but maintaining meticulous records of accident-related fees, including medical bills, lost wages, and property damage, has to be prioritized. Create a central location for these expenses and receipts as these records will be crucial when filing a PIP claim.
- Notify your insurance company. Be sure your insurance provider is made aware of the accident as soon as possible. Timely reporting is key to initiating claims.
- Cooperate with insurer requests. As the process moves forward, your insurer may request more information. Be responsive to your insurer’s requests for documentation so your claim is not delayed or denied.
There are situations in which an injured party does all they can to fortify their PIP claim but the coverage simply falls short of their accident-related expenses. If this is true for you, you may consider pursuing additional monetary relief.
Exceeding PIP Limits and Third-Party Liability
Injuries that are severe or require extensive medical treatment may lead to expenses that go beyond the PIP coverage cap. Plus, if you have experienced wage loss that surpasses the PIP limit, exploring other avenues for compensation for extended periods of time away from work may be required.
There are also situations where another party is at fault for the accident and pursuing a personal injury claim against the responsible party is necessary. To explore all of your damage recovery options, connect with a Miami personal injury lawyer.
Could you be eligible for monetary relief beyond PIP? To navigate the complex process of securing the compensation you deserve, consult with the experienced legal team at Spencer Morgan Law. Book your fee-free consultation today, simply call 305-423-3800 to schedule your appointment.