Close Menu
Surfside Condo Collapse * Click here to see how we can help
En Español Call Now ADA Website

Miami Paraquat Lawyer

From its use in commercial agriculture, or backyard gardens, pesticides have become widespread in the U.S. Ironically, the substances that are commonly used to keep plants healthier can prove dangerous for the humans who are exposed to them. For instance, Paraquat, which is used as a liquid herbicide, primarily for weed and grass control, is highly poisonous to individuals. While the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classifies this substance as “restricted”, meaning that it can only be used by licensed applicators, people are still exposed to it at an alarming rate, as Paraquat poisoning doesn’t necessarily require ingestion, but is also possible after skin exposure and inhalation.

Paraquat poisoning is always dangerous, so if you were injured after inhaling, being exposed to, or ingesting Paraquat or another herbicide, it is important to speak with an experienced Miami Paraquat lawyer about seeking compensation for your losses.

Ingesting Paraquat

Paraquat poisoning can occur as a result of ingestion, inhalation, or skin exposure. Ingestion occurs surprisingly often, especially considering the fact that federal regulators require manufacturers to include blue dye in Paraquat pesticides, manufacture it with a strong scent, and include an agent that makes people vomit if they do ingest it. Unfortunately, Paraquat poisoning most often occurs after swallowing contaminated food and beverages, where these deterrents may have little effect. If ingested, Paraquat can cause direct damage to the linings of the mouth, stomach, and intestines, which often manifests as:

  • Pain and swelling in the mouth and throat;
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms, including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain; and
  • Dehydration, electrolyte abnormalities, and low blood pressure.

Ingestion of Paraquat can also lead to heart failure, kidney failure, and liver failure, all of which can be fatal.

Inhaling Paraquat

Besides being poisonous if ingested, Paraquat is also dangerous if inhaled, as it can accumulate in the lungs. Like ingestion, inhaling Paraquat causes swelling and pain in the mouth and throat, which is often followed up by difficulty breathing and a bloody nose. When inhaled, Paraquat can cause permanent lung damage, as well as toxic chemical reactions in the lungs, liver, and kidneys. Long-term exposure can result in permanent scarring in the lungs, known as pulmonary fibrosis, which can make it difficult to breathe, even with treatment.

Skin Exposure to Paraquat

Paraquat poisoning through skin exposure is generally most likely to occur if:

  • The exposure occurs over a long period of time;
  • The person is exposed to a concentrated version of the substance; or
  • The exposure occurs through sores, cuts, or a severe rash.

Those who are employed to spray herbicide are often the most likely to suffer from exposure via skin contact. While it may take longer to notice symptoms, exposure in this way is still extremely dangerous and can result in kidney, liver, or heart failure.

Speak with an Experienced Miami Paraquat Lawyer Today

Paraquat poisoning can have devastating consequences for individuals who may not even know how they were poisoned. For help holding the company that put your own health in danger accountable for its production of an unsafe product, please reach out to the dedicated Miami Paraquat lawyers at Spencer Morgan Law by calling 305-423-3800 today.

Share This Page:
Request a Free Consultation

Please fill out the form provided and one of our dedicated Miami injury lawyers will assist you in scheduling a free consultation.

* All Contact Form Fields are Required I acknowledge that contacting Spencer Morgan Law through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.